Risk and Insurance While Sailing
This Risk Warning is issued jointly by the Port Hacking Open Sailing Club Inc. and the NSW Maritime Authority, pursuant to the Civil Liability Act 2002, to all persons wishing to participate in the sailing activities conducted by Port Hacking Open Sailing Club Inc. Participants are warned that, regardless of the precautions which might be taken by a reasonable and experienced person, sailing can be a dangerous pursuit and participants are exposed to significant risk of property damage, physical harm and possibly death.
As an indication these risks may include:
- The extremes of weather and sea conditions.
- The potential that control of vessels may be lost, resulting in collision with objects and other vessels.
- The sudden movement of the vessel at any time and the possibility that participants may fall or be thrown overboard resulting in drowning.
- The possibility that participants may be injured by equipment on the vessel.
- The absence of immediate medical care and the likelihood that significant delays may occur before medical care is available.
- Exposure to the elements for extended periods.
Port Hacking Open Sailing Club Inc. and the NSW Maritime Authority also warn participants that regardless of their best intentions, they may be unable to render assistance to participants who are in distress. Participants are warned to consider the above risks and all other risks before deciding to participate in any sailing event with Port Hacking Open Sailing Club Inc. Participants are also advised that although Port Hacking Open Sailing Club Inc. is covered by third party liability insurances, this cover DOES NOT extend to participants. Any participant who considers they have need for insurance must make their own private arrangements with an insurer. A Personal Accident Insurance policy is included with a subscription to Yachting Australia NSW.
The Personal Accident Insurance provided by Yachting Australia provides benefits when an insured member (aged 5 to 85 years) is injured as a result of their participation in a yachting activity whether it be while sailing, participating or officiating in races, race training or on the premises of a Yachting Australia/MYA affiliated club. Port Hacking Open Sailing Club Inc. makes this membership mandatory for all Junior Members (under 18 years) and strongly recommends all boat owners seek their own insurances for personal injury, property and third party cover.